Sunday, January 31, 2010

Journal Update 7

February 1, 10:22 AM TT

Oh man, I'm still hurting a bit from last night. Went to Sirroco / Skybar around 5:00 PM. There are two sections to the bar- the lame one and the amazing one. They start you out at the lame one. You get a drink, lounge on a couch (it has an alright view and is outside), finish your drink, pay ($10 beers) then you say "I want to go to other bar" (yes that is how I'm starting to talk now haha). Then you go to the other bar on the opposite side of the restaurant.

Make sure when your jaw drops to the floor you don't let it fall off the edge. It's a 64-story drop. It's so ridiculous in fact that it really is impossible not to gawk for a few seconds before you walk down the steps to the bar area.

The view is incredible. You can see the river snaking its way through all the glimmering lights. Skyscrapers lit up in brilliant yellow, blues, purples and oranges dot the landscape. I don't mean to get all gushy but it was soooooo awesome. The only other view that comes close to rivalling it is the view from the backdoor at Fatman's Pub in Danville. :-P

I spent $30 on beer to experience it, but it was definitely worth it! Afterwards I took the skytrain to the Asok Station and got off there to look for the Soi Cowboy red light district. I knew it was somewhere in the area but it took me 40 minutes of walking to find it. I was exhausted at that point so I snapped a few pictures and left. One of them turned out pretty good. Took a cab back to my hotel, took a shower, and went to sleep.

Got up at 5 AM and had to pack a few things still. Got in a cab at 6:20 after a light breakfast and headed to the airport. Got checked in, went to gate and napped a bit because I was tired (update: I am still tired, thinking about planning just a half day tomorrow) When they called on various rows to board, they had us walk down the gate and get on a bus instead of a plane. Took a 3 minutes bus ride to the plane and took off 20 minutes later Breakfast on the plane was yogurt and some pastry with hardened dark chocolate in the middle. Yummy.

Landed at 9:20 AM, got my bag, bought a bottle of water and got a taxi. That's where I'm writing this from. It's about an hour drive to my hotel from the airport.

The taxi driver stopped at some touristy boat tour place and they gave me a bunch of brochures. Not going to do any of that stuff.. I don't like having tourists and sight see-ers in my photos. Kills it for me.

About 10 minutes ago the driver's phone rings and he answers it... tells me "It's for you" and offers me the phone. I know I DEFINITELY had a "wtf?" look on my face when I took the phone and said hello. It was the lady from the tourplace letting me know I could save 15% if I booked now.

I was hoping it was something more exciting like a Thai secret agent calling me to say "You're being followed." Then I'd look out the window just as the agent passes my taxi on a motorcycle and he throws me a gun and we have a high speed shootout with my assailants while my taxi driver provides all the necessary comic relief with heavily accented phrases such as "You crazy, mistah!" and "He go boom!"

Sounds like a Michael Bay movie. I should call him.

Favorite massage parlour name: "Happy Time Thai Massage." Made me laugh.

No comments: