Friday, January 29, 2010

Journal Update 3

Jan 28, 3:30 PM TT

Just updated the blog and had the people at the front desk help me figure out my phone. Feeling kinda tired... might make a few phone calls then take a short nap.

Still can't decide whether to take my D700 with me to Khao San tonight, probably will.. I want to get some night shots of the city (update: did take it and did get some good night shots). Need to read up a bit on the details on getting to Ayutthaya tomorrow. I know the basics at least (update: until the guy at the front desk told me a better way which led to me almost getting lost, but I found the way eventually!)

It was soooo hote today ~OMG~ Could be because my body is mostly used to cold weather, but gut still. I was sweating buckets like it was my job (update: and Thai people seemingly never sweat, I envy them)

Used some public transportation today.took the BTS (skytrain) which is nice and simple. It has A/C too, which makes it better haha.

Got approached by 3 guys today (at different times each, not all at once) who were trying to get me to ride one of the Tuk Tuks to the "Big Buddha" because today is "Lucky Buddha Day!" But that is just a common scam that I had read about plenty of times.

Ate some street vendor food. BOught some fried fish on a stick and some other friend shit (not literally) on a stick and they were good. Couldn't eat all of the second shit though, I was getting full and it was a bit too greasy. Lunch total cost: 20 Baht (like 60 cents). Also got some sweet snack on little fried wafers. Cost 6 baht for 4 of them. Christ this country is cheap. My 10 minute cab ride today cost $2.

Nap Time.

Jan 29, 12:59 AM TT

Well that nap was 3 hours longer than I wanted. Woke up 20 minutes AFTER I was supposed to meet the people from CA. Sorry Josh & Steph! (update: meeting them tomorrow at a market hopefully).

I was pretty bummed that I couldn't get ahold of them or Jenn, sorta felt like just going back to sleep and calling it an early night. But hell no to that!

Took the BTS to the boat station which I knew would be closed, planning to walk to a spot where I could get some night pictures of Wat Arun, which has spectacular lighting at night. Well after walking 1-2km, I was hot as hell (even though it was only 80) and starting to get creeped out since I wasn't in a very touristy area and it was not well lit. So I hailed a cab and took it to Khao San road which I walked down to check out. Kept walking around to the right when I got to the end of the road, eventually turning down a road parallel to Khao San.

Sat down at an outdoor restaurant and got some Shrimp Pad Thai and a beer. Ssonyo reccomended the pad thai and it was quite good. Dinner was 150 baht, but I am pretty sure it should have been 220 with the beer. Oh well.

After dinner I got my camera out and started taking some pictures. I got a few that I really like. Night photography is a lot more fun than mid-day photography. The light, or rather the lack of it makes taking pictures a lot easier, as backwards as that sounds.

Saw a handful of creepy old guys with young Thai girls. I need to quick start balding and grow a big gut to pick up the locals I guess. Bed now, Ayutthaya tomorrow. Good night!

January 29, 9:00 AM TT

Was going to take a bus to Ayutthaya (pronounced Ah-you-thee-uh) but the hotel guy said to take a van from Victory monument. Since I knew how to get to the Northern Bus Terminal I was against changing my plans. However while riding the BTS I noticed there was a stop for Victory Monument so I said what the hell I'll give it a shot.

About 30 minutes later I'm drenched and about to give up. I had almost done a full circle of the square (does that even make sense) and decided to check one last spot. Success! I see what sorta looks like ticket counters and I ask. They can't understand my wrong pronounciation of the word but I write it for them and they laughed and pronounced it for me. Van #1! 50 baht for a 90 minute ride. Good Christ.

January 29, 1:41 PM TT

Holy shit! Just had an amazing whirlwind tour of Ayutthaya! Got in around 9:30-10:00 AM, got a Tuk Tuk (they are less sketchy here) about 15 seconds after I got out of the van and for an agreed price of 900 baht I went to 6-7 different places.

First we went to the elephant village where I got to ride an elephant for half an hour and get pictures taken with two other elephants.

Then we went to the different temples in the area and I got a few "National Geographic"-grade shots. Throughout the "tour" they bought me a lot of water and a bag of pineapple. They were very very friendly. The only awkward moment was when he asked "In baht, how much did your camera cost?" I said 'a lot' and he said '$200?' which I agreed to.

After we were done, they had me write in their book about my day with them. THey really wanted to make sure I put that I am from America in the write-up, haha.

That leads me to now. Right now I am riding back to Bangkok in a van with broken AC and the windows are rolled up. I am guessing it is between 110 and 115 in here. THey opened the door to let someone else in and the regular 90 degree outside air felt like AC. Good God I am gonna die!

January 29, 6:06 PM TT

Well I didn't die but I'm pretty sure this headache I'm having that feels similar to a hangover is from dehydration. Lets give an awesome example: I took a piss when I got up this morning. From 7:45 am - 3:30 pm I estimate that I drank about 6 liters of water. When I finally took that 3:30 pm piss, it was about 5 seconds.

5 seconds?!?! I piss more than that after 1 beer! I think I'm about to take another "nap" (it was a 7 hour nap hahaha). Just had dinner (fried rice + chicken with a lot of chillis on top) and a beer (Chang). Can't say I like Chang. Tastes like malt liquor to me. Though its alcohol % is between 8-12% (yes it varies by batch, that's how ghetto it is). So maybe that is why...

It poured down rain when I got dropped off from the van. I got soaked. Was funny seeing Thai people's reaction to it. Most acted scared of getting wet, haha. Sleepy time...

No comments: