Saturday, January 30, 2010

Journal Update 4

January 30, 2:47 PM TT

Well last night I slept until 1:30 AM. Whoops! Went and hopped on facebook. Couldn't get a beer because all the bars around here stop serving around 1 AM. Then I went back to my room to try to sleep. Got up @ 6:30 AM today.

After I had breakfast I strapped on my backpack, got some cash from an ATM and headed to the Mo Chit station which is near the weekend market. Got a beer and laughed at the fact that I was out drinking in public at 8:30 AM. I'm on vacation damnit! :-p

After I was done with that I met up with Stephanie and Josh and we walked around for a while.

Bargaining with the vendors was fun, though I'm sure I was an easy bargain. Usually I was able to bargain 10-25% off which isn't too bad I guess.

Checked out the part of the market selling pets. I guess that area had been part of some news documentary about animala buse or something. The dogs and cats and squirrels (yes, you could buy a pet squirrel!) were packed in cages pretty tight, but it really wasn't much/any worse than the US's puppy mills/puppy stores in shopping malls.

There was definitely an overabundance of cuteness though! Sooooo many puppies and kitties. There were purebreeds of many different kinds. Even saw some German Shepherd pups that reminded me of Chuck... oh how I miss him... lol :-(

I do feel bad for the dogs/cats with shaggy coats/long hair because it was quite hot. I am starting to notice I state that it's hot everytime I write, but Good Golly, Miss Molly i'm burning up! (all comments to man up and to stop bitching can be sent to tom.olson85@gmail.com lol)

I'm writing in this now because I'm waiting on housekeeping to drop off my laundry. They'd probably scream if they saw me in a towel (because I really need a shower). They are very conservative over here.

Gave directions to some clueless white people today on the skytrain. Boy, didn't that make me feel like a hardened Thailand veteran...

Lunch today was a couple "chicken on a stick in some sauce" and a really sweet fruit drink. At least I think it was a fruit drink.. and.. at least I think it was chicken. I never have any clue what it is that I'm putting in my mouth. As long as it tastes good and doesn't make me sick then it's a success as far as I'm concerned.

Stopped at Siam Square on the way home today. It's definitely more for Thai people than for foreigners. No english anywhere and I was the only white person. Walked around for 30 minutes and headed back. Also, it should be called "Siam couple of square blocks," the name is very misleading!

Not going to take a nap today, oh no no. I've wisened up to that ploy of my body's. Going to take a shower, throw on some of the new clothes I bought, and head to the river. I am getting that shot of Wat Arun tonight! (update: totally nailed it) If I fail then I give up.

I was going to go to Kanchanaburi tomorrow.. still undecided about that. Guess I should figure it out soon eh? (update: not going, 3 hour bus ride? no) There are some pretty neat sights there... I really want to check out Erawan falls. I guess I feel bad for leaving poor Bangkok already. You could easily spend a few weeks in this city and not run out of things to do.

I'll be flying down to Phuket in less than two days. That should be amazing. I need to figure out hwhat all I'm going to do there though. I definitely won't be renting a motorbike though. As fan and liberating as that sounds, there are far too many fatal accidents involving scooters there. (At least 1 per day)

Thinking about doing night photography in one of Bangkok's red light districts tomorrow night. Or tonight I guess if I have time (update: I didn't, I'm sleepy after doing night photography somewhere else) If I get yelled at to stop though, I'm packing up and leaving the area immediately.. don't want any trouble. Bangkok is such a legend for that side of it though...(I mean seriously, what is the name of the city?) It'd almost be a sham to not at least see the area.

Don't worry though, this trip is rated R, not XXX hahaha.

Best deal I got today was 3 long sleeve collared shirts that would probably be $30+ a piece at AE, A&F, or Express. Got them for about $18 total. Also got four graphic Ts, a fe plain Ts, a pair of shorts, a belt, a few gifts... all in all I probably only spent around $100 max. Also got some lamps for my bedroom. Shipped most of the loot via Thai surface mail. It's the cheapest way and will travel by boat, haha. Cost $35 and will take 8 weeks. Sucks. I figure by then I will have forgotten what all I bought and it will be a nice surprise. Couldn't find any whiskey though... that is one request that as of now remains unfulfilled. Maybe I will find some down South?

Going to edit a few "preview pictures" to throw up on my blog w hile I wait for laundry. Adios!

No comments: