Saturday, January 30, 2010

Journal Update 6

January 31, 11:02 AM TT

Just got done with my Thai massage... Wow! They are really awesome. They consist of lots of pressing with the hands and elbows on various pressure points. They also mix in some extreme stretches. I got the shit cracked out of my back. I'm hoping it helped my shoulders because they are starting to get tired from hauling my camera around. Oh the prices we pay...

Forgot to check out my flight information for tomorrow when I was on the computer earlier. Need to double check things though I'm 99% sure I know everything. I do need to check addresses + phone numbers for my hotels down South though. I don't even remember their names haha.

The place I'm staying in Patong, Phuket is going to be really nice. Heard the service & facilities are top notch. I think I paid $65 a night so that is splurging by Thai standards but it's only 2 nights so who cares. (also it's a villa)

My villa on Ko Phi Phi (pronounced "koh pee pee") is probably a shithole- literally. I read it stinks like sewage there, haha... but $25 a night with AC and my own bathroom... can't complain too much.

After that I'll be in Ao Nang, Krabi. There's nothing to do in that town but it's a good hub for everything else in the area. I think my place there is around $70 a night for the villa. Staying in villas the whole time down South because I wanted to do something different.

I don't really have any plans for the next ~4 hours (update: I drank beer). I need to get my hotel / flight information and grab some lunch but that's about it.

Tonight, well, this afternoon at 3:30 I'm going to head to Wat Pho, which has a large reclining Buddha statue. After that I'm going to kill some time before I head over to the Sirroco Sky Bar. It's a bar on the 60th floor roof of some building. I'd prefer to get there around sunset... not sure what I'm gonna do for an hour between the temple and the bar.

If you've seen the Bombay Sapphire ads (in magazines) of a blue rooftop bar, then you've seen the skybar. Hopefully they let me bring my camera in.. otherwise I'm not going to bother. Drinks are $15-20 and if I can't take pictures there than I'm not going to waste my money.

After the skybar I'm hopping on the skytrain (everything in this city is in the sky apparently) and taking it to Soi Cowboy where I'm hoping to get some interesting pics of the infamous red light district.

So those are the plans for today.. lets hope it goes well!

P.S. Thai food is starting to do a number on me. Uh ohhhh! :-0

January 31, 12:43 PM TT

Sitting at an outdoor (shaded) bar on a corner on a street just off Sukhumvit Road, sorta near my internet cafe. Beers are $2 but to be honest I'd be afraid to drink beer here that costs much less.

If I was an intelligent insightful person, now is when I'd ramble on about some crazy philosophical thought of mine about the meaning of life or what I should be doing.. but that's not really the type of person that I am. Just the fact that I've reached a state where if I WERE such a person I'd do just that makes me happy enough.

Sitting on a rickety old stool at a wood plank bar. Talking to a couple of blokes from England. If they weren't from England then I wouldn't call them blokes lol. They are some pretty cookie cutter exmaples of sex tourists but it's hard not to laugh at the stories they are telling. Maybe it's the accent? English men are charming right? Or just Hugh Grant? Going to cut myself off after the 3rd beer, don't want to be too sloppy later... yeah I'm a lightweight. That's common knowledge (update: I successfully cut myself off, Bravo.)

Also, weekend market note that I forgot about- there were stalls selling fish + flattened and dried squid that were some of the worst smelling things I've ever smelled. After passing by a few I had to avoid them for fear that I might retch. They were rotting!

Oh poo, my notebook is starting to fall apart. My mom said my language is horrendous in this blog. She didn't say horrendous but she meant it.

One of the blokes is wearing a penis necklace and we just laughed at him about it. He says it's not a penis, it's a penis creature, because it has legs.

Lunch today was a fried chicken leg- Thai style- and an ice cream cone with 3 Heinekens for dessert. Finishing the third right now then hopping on the net (Hi Carly and Liz and Nick) then back to the hotel to get cleaned up and head out. I have to look nice for the skybar so that means shirt + tie + jeans + shoes. Luckily I won't be walking around too much in that outfit. It's not optimal for these conditions.

LoL (yes it's necessary) the English guys' names were Marten and Marten.

No comments: