Monday, February 1, 2010

Journal Update 8

February 2, 7:45 AM

Took it easy last night. Went to bed around 8:30 PM but I really needed to rest. I have another night here in Patong so I will stay out later tonight. Not too late though- getting picked up by a van tomorrow to take me to the dock to take a boat to Ko Phi Phi Don at 7 AM so I'll probably get up around 5:30 or 6:00 and try catching the sunrise. Sorta on the wrong side of the island for that though.

Yesterday after I checked in and cooled off I went and talked to the woman running this place - a French woman who speaks good english - who told me the good spots to go here, or rather how to get to them.

Rented a taxi for 3.5 hours and headed South, stopping at a few sites on the way. Went to Kata beach lookout point, which is at an elevation of around 7-800 feet I'm guessing. This island is very hill, not much flat land here at all.

After that I went to a beach whose name I'll look up later, I forget.

Then after those two stops I went to the Southern tip of the island which is supposed to be the prettiest sunset on the island. Even Thai people come to watch it there.

Once I got there I hiked for half an hour down the peninsula to get to the coast. Ran out of water halfway down, oops. Very veautiful place, probably hiked down 300 or so feet through fairly focky terrain and made it about 30 feet from the water (update: Note to self- Chuck Taylors are not good hiking shoes). The tide was out and the rocks I were walking on were covered in little shells that were attached very strongly and I didn't want to kill a bunch of animals with every step so I stopped. The only other people down that far were two Buddhist monks and a Thai guy that was talking to them.

Monks here aren't quite what I figured they would be - they use cellphones, they smoke, etc. Not like some of the monks in Europe where you hear they are very restrictive and have vows of silence, etc.

Well I got some great shots then headed back to the cab, drove back to Patong, paid ($35) and walked back to the hotel. The cab driver asked for 1,400 baht and my form of bargaining was not having that much money with me hahaha.. only had 1,260. He was more than happy with that though. Walked a block or two back to my villa, showered, and crashed.

Stayed in bed for about 11 hours.. lol yuck that's a long time. About to go out walking and find some breakfast. Haven't eaten since yesterday afternoon. Ooooh, that reminds me I still have one of mom's cookies left! Ok, now I have 0 cookies left, just two bags of crumbs. :-(

I think I am going to get some pineapple and then find some meat. I am feeling like a bit of a carnivore. I haven't swam in the ocean yet, but that's mostly because I don't have a place to leave me camera. Let's just say the security at this place is a bit lacking. It's just a sliding glass door, and after you lock them, you can really easily just slide the 2 locked doors to the side and walk right in. Ugh.

Ok, outta here!

No comments: