Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Journal Update 11

Continuing from Feb 3, 5:40 PM TT:

I'm sitting outside my air-conditioned room writing this while completley soaked to the bone... but it doesn't bother me now. Once you've been drenched in sweat for over 2 hours you stop caring and it stops feeling gross. It's like walking in the rain- at first it sucks but after you've been in it a while, you stop noticing all the raindrops hitting you and you're mind is just thinking "yeah, whatever."


I also experienced this back when I was hiking during the sunset my first night in Phuket. Though that day I ran out of water halfway through, so that didn't help much.

About to go for a dip in the pool then heading to the beach to catch the sunset.

I just got done hiking to the various viewpoints around this side of the island. One was a great view and the other two were "okay." I went to the best one first. It was a tiring walk that ended at about 600 feet above sealevel, so it was the hardest part of the trek (max elevation was about 750 I'd guess).

One my way up, I experienced something like you'd see in a movie: There was a Thai man with a "bowl" haircut, wearing just a shirt and underwear while he was chopping coconuts. As I passed him, he stopped chopping and while staring at me and never taking his eyes from mine, he chopped another coconut in half. It was a little creepy.

After I got to the first viewpoint and looked around and took some pictures, I layed down in the shade and dozed on the rocks for a little bit.

Nothing notable at the next viewpoint I went to. However at the third one, there was a very special surprise. As I was approaching it, I heard some rustling in the brush to my left and aw something grey dart by. It looked like a dog though I was curious what a dog was doing way up in the hills. I go to check it out and stop dead in my tracks when I see it. It's not a dog- it's a wild monkey!!! I had never seen a wild monkey beofre and was not expecting to see any on this part of the island. I pursue the monkey further and discover a pack of 15 of them. I took pictures until they all started staring at me while making menacing hissing and... barking sounds. Not wanting my obituary to read Tom was torn apart by a pack of small wild monkeys" I backed off. Though one brave monkey later visited and I got 2 or 3 sweet shots of him/her (I forget).
Going to go swim now then probably head to an internet cafe after the sun sets (but before I get dinner + something to drink).

February 3, 7:02 PM TT

Sunset was pretty as expected though I don't think the colors were quite as brilliant as last night's.

While I was walking back to my bungalow to take a shower (will probably be taking 3 today), all the porch lights lit up in my complex. Will be able to get a pretty cool shot about 20 feet from my front porch. All the bungalows are up on stilts about 3 feet off the ground and there are wood plank walkways that run between them all... pretty.

It's crazy how much the water recedes at low-tide here. In Patong I'd guess it recedes about 50-60 feet. Here it is more like 300 feet - and the water is only just past your ankles at 400 feet out.

I think I figured out what I'll do tomorrow. Once I get to Ao Nang, I'm going to quick get a cab to my hotel, check in, then take a 20 minute longboat ride over to Railay for the sunset. Sunsets there were described as being "Ethereal."

Not so sure what to do the next day. Will get up early and take a cab to tiger cave temple and check it out then back to the hotel to shower and check out. The problem I then face is that I won't have another place to clean up before my 7PM flight back to Bangkok. There are plenty of places to see but I can't travel for 30+ hours smelling like a dirty monkey's butt.

I think there are places to shower in Seoul's airport, but that means I'll have to pack a change of clothes in my laptop bag. Ah well, I'm sure I'll figure something out. I've worked my way through all the other crazy logistics of this trip so far.

Gotta make sure I don't forget to check out the free tour of Seoul during my 10 hour layover there. Will do that after my shower I guess. That will be a nice way to eat up 4 hours of the layover.

Jetlag coming back is going to be a beast. Maybe doing a photoshoot with a girl from the UoI on Sunday lol.

Helped out a Dutch couple tonight who were having auto-focus problems when taking pictures after dark.

Thinking about getting another massage tomorrow. Dunno if that would be such a great idea with the sunburn though. They are pretty rough on your shoulders and neck. Better pass on that.

Hmmm, not really sure what to do tomorrow. DOn't need to take a boat to Monkey beach anymore because I already saw all thse monkeys today. Gotta check out at 11:00 AM though they will hold my bags for me until my boat leaves at 3:30 PM.

Things I wish I wouldn't have brought: 1,000 page hardback novel, usb hard drive connector kit, tripod, one of my pairs of pants. That's not too bad for overpacking. I definitely didn't overpack with my clothes. Going to have just enough to get by.

I've spent about $25 on ATM fees which kinda sucks, though I don't think I'll need to use another one for the rest of my trip so that's alright (update: probably will have to use an ATM one more time).

February 4, 8:35 AM TT

Checkout time is in 2.5 hours. Might just keep my swim trunks on all day (update: did not). Went for a dip in the pool, that felt lovely. Forgot I had free breakfast here and went and got something in town. Oh well. Took some pictures of the East side of the island, just after sunrise. Wasn't as pretty as I'd hoped but I suppose that's relative.

While out walking the beach last night I saw some amazing fire dancers. Only watched them for two songs... which were both by Limp Bizkit. Faith and the Mission Impossible theme. That was kind of puzzling. The fire dancers would either have a stick with two flaming ends or hold two seperate flaming ball and chain things. They would get those things spinning at something like 250 RPM which was amazing to see. Once in a while they would throw them 40 feet into the air and then catch them, but sometimes they messed that part up. One time it landed on a tourist and that person caught on fire and ran into the ocean as a blazing fireball. Just kidding. Though one of the guys with the ball and chain threw his in the air and caught it. Still trying to figure that one out.

Hotels here skip the number 13 just like in the US.

Only have room for 500 more pictures on my memory cards. Should be ok though, I think I've taken around 1,000-1,100 (update: only 900) so far. Going to do some editing on the trip back. Well, not really edit, just choose which pictures to edit once I get back. That should cut a few hours off the processing time.

Got woken up last night by some drunken yelling. Put in some ear plugs and fell back asleep soon thereafter. I will definitely always travel with ear plugs from from now on, they are great and take up no room.

No comments: