Monday, February 1, 2010

Journal Update 9

Spent some time at the beach this morning sipping drinks (fruit smoothies, non alcoholic!) and enjoying the ocean breeze. After I headed back for a shower, I figured I'd throw this up online.

February 2, 10:58 AM TT

Walked along the beach, heading North. Grrr, I just told the waitress at the place I'm sitting (and drinking a mango smoothie - so good) "Hello" instead of "Thank You." I keep accidently doing that and people keep laughing at me lol. Anyway, walked North about 20 minutes, stopping every once in a while to sit in the shade and cool off. This slowe rpace seems fitting for this place.

There are lots and lots of tourists here, but seemingly few Americans. In fact, I have not heard any english spoken out loud since I've been here (on the street at least). Lots of Europeans. I've heard a lot of German and French spoken, those are easy to tell apart due to the accents/dialect/whatever. I am totally guessing and basing it off how people look, but there appears to be a lot of people from Spain and Italy here as well.

Splended, I now have a wonderful view of someone's grandma sunbathing topless on some rocks. Hightlight of my trip! Also, I can tell if a man is European or not by the swimsuit he wears. European men love sporting the banana hammock.

There is a large cruise ship that has dropped anchor about half a mile to a mile from shore- it's hard (for me) to tell distances in the water from the shore (or from anywhere else I suppose). I guess it could be 2-3 miles out for all I know.

In the shade the temperature is in the low 80s I reckon. With a light occassional breeze it's pretty comfortable, not even sweating at the moment. Today I'm wearing shorts + a white long sleeve (but very thin) hoodie + socks and chucks.

My villa doesn't include any shampoo so I had to wash my hair with soap. My hair has NO volume now, UGH. I'm so embarassed. :-P It's like that episode of Seinfeld where Jerry's building has no water pressure and everyone has terrible hair. (I'm kidding btw, I don't really care about my hair's volume)

Topless grandma from before has been joined by her topless grandma friend! Double (or quadruple, depending on how you count) the fun!

Can't wait to get in the water tomorrow - my bungalow is supposed to be 75-100m from the water. I guess there is a difference between villas and bungalows that I didn't know about. Villas are like fancy hotel rooms with full kitchens that you have a patio or deck attached to.. where as bungalows are little huts. Maybe that is common knowledge for most people but I am a common idiot. The next two places I'm staying at are actual bungalows- or at least they claim to be!

While the beachfront here is fairly developed (there is even a condominium building with around 30 floors, by far the tallest building here) most of the rest of the town is giving off a "developing country" vibe. There are empty lots filled with trash, small hillside huts people live in, lots of stray animals. I've seen a few hundred stray dogs since I arrived in Bangkok on Wednesday. I've seen 4 or 5 dogs on a leash tops lol.

The cup my smoothie is in says "happy sheep" on it and has smiling cartoon sheep.

I started writing down random 1-line thoughts or observations. Going to share those at the end of the trip. Most are fairly funny (to me) and are about something I see/notice or something stupid I did.

One story of my stupidity/unsmoothness:

So on Sunday when I got to the building the skybar was in, I go over to the elevator area that takes you up there. They have decently high standards on appearance so you have to look kinda nice else they don't let you up. I pass that test though they make me check my backpack (though I was allowed to remove the camera and carry that around).

At the time, I don't remember which floor the bar is on (the top one, it's a rooftop bar, DUH!) so I get off at the 52nd because that floor has some special writing next to it (I needed the 64th). There is a bar on this floor and remembering that the skybar has 2 bars, I saunter up and order a beer. As I'm paying I ask how I get to the skybar and they tell me it's on the 64th floor. I'm sure I turned a little red in the face as I pay $10 and go sit down. "At least there is a nice pool here that I can take a picture of" I think as I pick up my camera and... the battery was dead! I forgot to check that! So I chug my $10 beer (bartender and waiters were probably wondering wtf) and have to go back to the first floor, uncheck my bag, get a new battery, re-check my bag, and head up to the 64th floor.

I felt so stupid I thought it'd be a shame not to share. :-)

No comments: