Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Favorites Part Fourteen

There are all sorts of different subsects of photography. You have nature, sports, club, headshots, the list goes on and on really. Street photography is one that has never really appealed to my tastes. The basis of street photography is that you are capturing human emotions while people go about their everyday lives, and it is definitely apparent in lots of pictures.

While I can see how people validate it as art, walking around the street and shoving your camera in people's faces is something I could never do. Of course not all street photographers do this, but many that are widely hailed as being good do. When I was in Atlantic City in the late summer, I think I got one and only "street photography" shot taken care of.

Chad and I were walking down the boardwalk, and I see this trash can with a bunch of seagulls going to town on whatever was inside. I bring up my camera to take a picture, and notice this sad, lonely woman in the background. I recompose the picture and capture her staring longingly out to sea, saddened that she will never be a deckhand on a pirate ship.

Actually I just saw the seagulls, took a picture of them, and while processing this later I saw her sitting there and thought "Whoah where did she come from."



No comments: